Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thinkport.org simulations


            The Think Technology section of http://thinkport.org provides many simulations for teachers to use in their classrooms.  I did find that some of the links provided seemed to be more geared for the upper grades because of their content.  As an elementary teacher I could use those links as enrichment but I found the following two simulations would be the most valuable in my classroom.
 
From the Think Technology section of http://thinkport.org, I found that the Word Search Factory Lite would be valuable in teaching.  This website give teachers to opportunity to create math and vocabulary or spelling practice pages that can be customized for specific student needs.  I would incorporate this resource into my classroom during small group or when I meet one on one with students.  If a child is struggling with a certain skill in math, this program makes it easy to generate practice problems that are in that one area.  Students would also be able to use the spelling and vocabulary pages that could be produced as review. 

The other simulation that I found to be most valuable was student interactives from http://readwritethink.org.  This website provides a wide variety of interactive tutorials for students. Teachers can search by grade level, skill, theme, or capabilities.  I would use this in my classroom by having it as part of my technology center.  Students would have already seen the skill in whole group and they would use it in the center for more practice.  This could also be used as the independent assignment in class depending on which interactive item was chosen for the lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment